Thursday, October 15, 2009

Gluten Free Granola

I should start this by saying that I never cared much for granola. I don't crave cold for breakfast. But about a year ago, when I realized what gluten was doing to me and cut it out of my diet, I began to dream of food I never ate before. For example, granola. And maybe I didn't crave granola exactly, but I did miss munching. And a crunch.   

                 This granola is amazingly, deliciously, delicious. I discovered the recipe while moseying around the internet looking to soothe my unexplainable granola crave. I've altered it from the original because I think it's a bit lighter this way. If you would like to see the original, find it here.

Gluten Free Granola

3 cups gluten-free oats *
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup rice flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tsp allspice
1 Tsp ground ginger
1Tsp ground cardamom
3/4 cup agave nectar (or honey if you like)
1/2 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 Tsp olive oil

Preheat your oven to 250ยบ and lightly grease a baking sheet with oil.

In a large bowl, mix the oats, almonds, seeds, and flour. Add in cinnamon, allspice, ginger and cardamom. Mix again.


In a separate bowl, combine agave nectar, cranberry juice, vanilla and oil. Mix until fully combined. Pour the liquid mixture over the oats. Stir with a heavy spoon so that all oats are fully coated. 

Now:
Pour your mixture onto the baking sheet and spread out evenly with a spoon. Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and, using a wide spatula, 'rotate the crop.' Basically, till the granola over so that what was on the bottom is now on top. Do this to make sure your granola cooks evenly. Stick the granola back in the oven and continue baking.

Bake the granola for an hour or so, tilling every 15 minutes.  You'll know its ready when it is no longer sticky to the touch. (it should be dry and crunchy)

Store in an airtight container and it should keep for about a week.



No comments: